Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Consider Wearing Leopard! You Don't Know What You're Missing!

In my opinion, fashion is as much a state of mind as it is the actual shoes/clothing/jewelry with which one decides to adorn themselves.  After all, it is with your mind that you choose to create your "look," either from your own ideas or from the influences of others.  Either way, your look is the finished product of these influences.

I was recently shopping and overheard a woman suggest to her friend that she purchase a leopard skirt they had been looking at.  The conversation went something like this: "Oh, my God!  You have to have this skirt!"  "Right!  Where am I gonna wear something like that?"  "Are you serious?  You can wear it anywhere!  It's so cute!  C'mon, at least try it on!"  "You're joking, right?  I would look stupid in that!"  "No, this could be your new look!"  "I've never worn anything like that in my life!"  "Maybe it's time you start!"  (They both laughed, dismissed the idea, and moved on to a different department within the store.)

The friend was being kind and I think rather genuine, by suggesting that her friend buy what I thought was a really cool skirt.  (Yes, I couldn't wait to look when I overheard them talking!  My ears automatically perk up and I become keenly aware when someone mentions leopard!)  The woman appeared to not even consider it, even though I personally think it would have looked really cute on her.

Leopard is an attitude.  Leopard is a state of mind.  Wearing leopard can be very fun!  Not everyone can get away with leopard, and not everyone should try.  Some think it's tacky, some think it's awesome.  (I happen to belong to the group who thinks it's awesome, in case you don't know me very well or in case you didn't notice the background page to my blog!)  But first, let's get one thing straight - I'm only referring to leopard print or faux fur - no harming of any animals to further this girl's leopard wardrobe!  Fabulous fakes and leopard prints only, please!

As I continued on with my shopping, I couldn't help but wonder what stopped that woman from purchasing the adorable leopard skirt her friend was trying to convince her to buy.  She wasn't necessarily a stylish person, her manner of dress was not conservative, but not exactly edgy, either, but she had a rather modern look to her and I'm positive she could have pulled off the leopard look!  Which takes me back to my original point - Leopard is an attitude. Leopard is a state of mind.  She convinced herself that the leopard look was not for her, regardless of how good it may have looked on her.  She actually said she would look "stupid" in it, without even giving it a try!

Ladies - c'mon!  Don't be afraid to try a new look (especially leopard!)  You can pull it off as long as you tweak your attitude!  Tell yourself, "I am so rockin' this skirt," and guess what?  You will be!  Don't listen to the nay-sayers who tell you not to give it a try!  Go ahead!  What have you got to lose?  You just might like your new look - especially if it includes leopard!  And if you don't like it, at least you gave it a try!  If you can't adjust your attitude to allow yourself to buy the leopard skirt, at least try it on!  Maybe the reverse will happen - maybe the skirt will adjust your attitude for you!  Maybe you'll try it on, take one look and say, "Wow!  This is a really fun look!"  Who knows?  Maybe leopard will become one of your signature looks!  It's never too late to add a signature look to your repertoire!  (By the way, in case you were wondering, I'm sort of glad they walked away because .... I bought the skirt!)

4 comments:

  1. Only you Lenore, only you, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have leopard print heels to go with that skirt???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! The ladies that you mention in your blog sound like you and I when we go shopping. Of course you'd be the one trying to convince me to try something a little edgy. So glad to see you using your creative writing talents and can't wait to read your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my world men aren't even afraid to wear leopard. My cat, Williston who is a male cat, sports a leopard collar. It is trimmed with dark blue which i feel adds just the right masculine touch needed for him to pull it off. I love leopard anything and yes, wear it girls even if you're a bit unsure of how it looks on you. I also add leopard in my home accents, anything goes!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you are spending to comment on my blog. Mean girls need not bother. :)