Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcoming Myself to 2012!

As I begin 2012 with my very first post on my very first blog, I'm trying hard not to dwell on 2011 and the mistakes I may have made, the goals not met, and any other disappointment about which I could beat myself up.  After all, I probably already spent a decent amount of time beating myself up when the disappointment first occurred!  (Come to think of it, that's probably why I've had a stiff neck for the last two weeks - I've spent too much time looking backward at my "mistakes" rather than forward at my possibilities.  I'm sure there is a lesson my body is trying to teach me about the pain of looking back.)  So, forward I go, with my trusty pink laptop and my pink rhinestone mouse, I dedicate this blog to all the girls who have been called, "silly," or, "shallow," or any other word that diminishes their love for all things girly!
My blog is called, "I Like Pink. I Like Shoes."  When I was trying to come up with a name for my blog, I was completely clueless.  My husband asked me what I liked and what I wanted to say in my blog.  In a rather silly manner, I started rattling off things I like - girly things - fun things - cutesy things - and from my ramblings, my husband suggested "I Like Pink. I Like Shoes."  Ahh... a smart man, my husband.  It may not be the catchiest blog name out there in the blog world, but this is my blog and it captures the girly attitude I want my blog to have.  So.... after what has turned out to be a terribly long explanation about the name of my blog, here we go, moving forward into 2012...
It's January and in Michigan that means one thing - cold.  I don't like to be cold and it makes me yearn for warm weather - sandal weather - strappy sandal weather - specifically my silver metallic peace sign Donald J. Pliner leather slides that my generous husband bought for me for my birthday last year.  Perhaps if I take off my warm, wooly socks and put on my silver sandals, I'll be able to mentally transport myself to a warm, upcoming summer when wearing the sandals will be a reality and not merely a wish.  I'm a little bored today - so much to do, so little time, yet very little ambition on this cold January day in Michigan.  I decided to watch a YouTube video of Julia Child making her famous Boeuf Bourguignon.  I've spent my entire life wishing I could have a colorful life such as the life she led.  I'm grateful to be able to witness her talent and her charm through the videos posted on YouTube.  For a while, I feel like she is giving a cooking lesson only to me, and when the lesson is over, I will take myself shopping in my silver metallic peace sign Donald J. Pliner leather slides, and purchase all the items necessary to prepare this feast for my husband.  To most, it seems like such a "50's Housewife" thing to do, and it was, and sadly, it is, but it's what I like - it's what I would do if only time would allow it.  My perception of cooking is that it's very girly - I've made it so - with my pink KitchenAid mixer, my pink KitchenAid toaster, my pink Cuisinart food processor, and my various pink knives and kitchen gadgets I use almost daily in any food preparation done in my kitchen.  My kitchen is a very pink world and I love it.
I know "they" say it is silly to make New Year's resolutions, but for me and my 2012, I resolve to spend more time in my pink kitchen doing what I love to do - utilizing my pink gadgets to make meals for my husband, much like a 50's housewife.  They were always wearing dresses and sweet, high-heeled shoes, greeting their husbands with a smile, knowing dinner is waiting on the table.  I wonder if those ladies knew just how very lucky they were, getting to stay home and do the very thing I would love to do, if only I had more time. 
I would have been very comfortable as a 50's housewife - it seems to me that it was a very "pink" thing to be, and it doesn't get much more girly than that.

7 comments:

  1. This is so you Lenore!!! I can totally picture you as a 50's housewife with a pink ribbon holding your ponytail together and of course your matching pink apron! I can vouch for your love of shoes as I cast my memory back to when I was just a wee little girl and I saw for the first time...your walk in shoe closet!! Every pair laid nicely in it's original box with a label stating it's color, style, heel height, etc... You did make an impression on me that day as I always dreamed to be like you...independent, beautiful, and with a closet full of shoes. Sadly, this life was not for me as my "closet full of shoes" has turned out to be a "closet full of boots and guns and camouflage garb". BUT, the small collection of shoes that I do own are stacked neatly in their original boxes and of course labeled by color, style and heel height!

    All in all, I too would be happy as a housewife, spending my time taking care of my home and my husband, cooking and gardening, etc...etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :) Do what makes you happy (and harms no one)! I find positive attitudes infectious and I could use a little more of that in my life in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inquiring minds need to know..... Can you still wear pink shoes like this? Very nice blog, and I will be checking in regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your post and your attitude. You're a marvelous, talented 50's Pink Lady Cook and it has always shown in your artsy types of fun foods I have experienced over the years...uh hum, you could have me over anytime to sample stuff you know...LOL I love Pink and Shoes and we are on the same page...Your hubby is a genious...Simple, catchy and right to the point. Enjoy the New Year and New Fun Foods...Kori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also keen on making food for my man. I like serving up martini's wearing my apron of course when he arrives home from work. We usually sit and "sip", only one, then often make dinner together. I so like the being in the kitchen scene, it's comforting to create an atmosphere of ahhhh! I love your blogs, keep 'em comin' girlfriend. You girly girl.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you are spending to comment on my blog. Mean girls need not bother. :)